The Orion Electronic SOS Beacon Locator Kit is an excellent alternative to traditional flares for use during the day or night.
In an emergency, this electronic beacon flashes a bright SOS distress signal in Morse Code. The signal flashes two times longer than the US Coast Guard continuous run-time requirement and at a constant light intensity two and a half times longer. This light source remains a full four inches above the waterline while floating. Next, it also has SOLAS grade reflective tape at the waterline for extra visibility and an orange distress flag for daytime.
A waterproof on-off switch is easy and intuitive to operate while the waterproof microprocessor electronics are fully encapsulated for trouble-free use. Also, the battery compartment is sealed with a double O-ring closure. The beacon operates on two D cell batteries and it even lets you know if the batteries need replacing. Plus, its high impact, durable ABS plastic unibody features a high visibility orange color so you can find it quickly.
Finally, you have several options for deploying the beacon in an emergency. Drop it overboard and it self-rights and floats. Hold it in your hand. Its molded-in plastic grips are even easy to hold when wet. Or hang it from a visible location on your boat with the top and bottom lanyards.
- Packed in a reusable storage container so it's handy when you need it
- Light source extends over 4” above waterline increasing visibility
- Complies with all U.S. Coast Guard requirements for "Night Visual Distress Signals" as found in the Code of Federal Regulations: 46 CFR 161.013
- Visible for 3 miles based on line of sight measurement
- SOLAS grade reflective tape at the waterline
- Waterproof casing and it floats
- Easy and intuitive to use
- Low battery indicator function
- High impact, high visibility orange ABS plastic construction
- Encapsulated microprocessor electronics
- Multiple deployment options
- Handheld-molded in plastic grips
- Hanging capability with provided lanyards
- Independently tested by U.S. Coast Guard Approved Imanna Labs
- Distress Flag, constructed of weather resistant vinyl and printed with internationally recognized distress graphic complies with U.S. Coast Guard Requirements in 33CFR 175.130 for Daytime Signaling
- Measure 12" H x 5.5" Dia., 1.5 lbs
- Burn time is over 50 hours of continuous operation
- Illuminates up to 75 Candela of brightness